Absence from the academy disrupts the pattern of a student’s education and we urge families to carefully consider the negative implications of any missed learning opportunities. The ‘Parent and Carer’s Guide to Attendance and Punctuality’ contains important information.
Leave of Absence during Term Time
The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 removed all references to holidays and extended leave and made it clear that headteachers cannot grant any leave in term-time unless exceptional circumstances prevail, therefore, there is no automatic entitlement in law to time off school to go on holiday.
At The East Manchester Academy we believe that leave in term time is undesirable because of the impact on our students’ education and we encourage parents always to take family holidays when school is closed.
Research has shown that there is a clear link between levels of attendance and levels of achievement and that, the more a student misses school, the lower their levels of achievement are likely to be. Taking leave in term time has a disruptive effect upon students’ learning and progress and it is often difficult for students to catch up with work that has been missed. It may also suggest to some students that their education is not a priority.
School policy is as follows:
- If parents/carers wish to request permission for leave of absence during term time we ask that a request form is completed and returned to the academy at least four weeks before the start date of the proposed leave of absence
- Any request will be considered in the light of exceptional circumstances
- A request is likely to be refused, regardless of the circumstances, if attendance including the proposed period of absence, is below 96%
- If approval is given for a period of absence, no further requests will be granted for the remainder of the academic year
- Leave of absence taken without permission will be categorised as unauthorised and will result in a request to Manchester City Council for a penalty notice to be issued. Approval for leave of absence cannot be given retrospectively and any absence will always remain as unauthorised
For the full and latest version of our ‘Attendance and Punctuality Procedures’, please visit our Policies page.